Porn News

Anonymous Online Comment Case Could Muzzle Free Speech

www.opposingviews.com- A coalition of news organizations is asking the Third District Appellate Court of Illinois to preserve the right to comment anonymously online.

The controversy stems from a lawsuit filed against the owners of the Ottawa Times newspaper in Illinois by the owners of a bed and breakfast inn.

Readers of the article, published last year, made critical comments online about the bed and breakfast owned by Donald and Janet Maxon, who then sued the Ottawa Times to force the paper to reveal the names of the anonymous commenters.

Several media organizations and advocates, including Gannett Co., the Illinois Press Association, and the Online Publishers Association, filed a friend of the court brief in favor of the newspaper owners.

The brief warned, “Should the courts deprive Internet speakers of their anonymity without appropriate safeguards, the uninhibited and robust exchange of ideas that has sprung up on news Web sites will be chilled.”

Daniel Ballon, a senior fellow in technology studies at the Pacific Research Institute for Public Policy in San Francisco, says writers have a responsibility to protect themselves.

“The constitution protects the right to speak anonymously, but this does not mean that all [anonymous] speech on the Internet must be [kept] anonymous” by the site owners, Ballon said. “This is why it is important for people to pay attention to privacy policies.”

Courts in seven states and the District of Columbia have found online commenters have the right to safeguards before being unmasked by the site on which they made anonymous public statements.

“I think people should be able to post things anonymously, but wherever preferable there should be some mechanism to legally counter hearsay,” said Bruce Abramson, president of California-based Informationism, Inc.

“We are looking at two important values—freedom of speech and the right to protect against libel—so there is no [single] right or wrong answer,” Abramson said.

332 Views

Related Posts

Creepy Paul Mulholland, Fake Journalist, Stalker

Paul Mulholland presents himself as a savior of vulnerable women, a self-proclaimed advocate exposing the “dark underbelly” of the adult industry.

Luxxxe Studios Signs Lucas Jake to Exclusive Contract

Luxxxe Studios has signed rising star Lucas Jake to a one-year exclusive performance contract. 40 Views

From Ring Lights to the Spotlight: 2026 XMA Creator Awards Celebrate Community and Indie Stardom

M2 transformed into a neon-drenched fever dream Wednesday night as the 2026 XMA Creator Awards, presented by Fansly, returned to Miami Beach in a haze of flashing lights,...

Sex Workers in Montreal to Go on Strike May 23 During F1 Weekend

Sex workers in Montreal plan to hold a strike May 23. 40 Views

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech. 36 Views

Attorneys for NoFap Founder Accused of ‘Shotgun Pleadings’

NoFap case against Aylo continues to heat up. 41 Views

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *